Saturday, December 5, 2009

Contemplations on a Massacre

Last night I saw the disturbing pictures of the mutilated and mangled bodies found massacred at Amantuan. I am So burdened   by the weight of this unsettling event.
I am horrified. Sickened. Shaken to the core of my being.
It happened in my time. It happened in my place, by my own people.
Proximity heightens the impact of an event.  It is difficult to think clearly, to ponder on the significance of this atrocity right here, right now.
And so what do I do?  Should I go out and protest? Should I go into the streets and jump up and down holding my fist into the air, crying out for justice?
For all my loud and cacophonic renunciation of this  horrific event, this is one event in countless forgotten others through out the course of human history.
I think about how in the next few years, in the next decade,  I will forget.  And then another massacre of the same or worse magnitude will happen, and then I go through the same cycle.
It is human nature to  lust for power, to kill and  destroy . 
It is human nature  to cry out for retribution.
And it is also human nature to forget.
This horrendous massacre has brought to light, once again, the utter depravity of man, the hopeless state of the human condition, the devious intent of God’s archenemy to kill and butcher and destroy and how we are all in the midst of a war between good and evil. Until we see God’s deliverance, we are like ant soldiers, fighting our mini-skirmishes against two formidable foes: the Devil, and our own depraved human nature.
“Even so, come Lord Jesus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment