Wednesday, August 3, 2011

On the Road to This Ilongga’s Fresh Market Paradise

I badly need some change from our regular fare of meat and pork and chicken so today I went on one of my notorious road misdaventures to the fish market.  Notorious because I’ve had similar experiences in the past  where I drive with only  the faintest clue of where I’m going  and relied heavily on my Garmin navigator to take me there.  So to the tune of classical music on my radio I miscalculated my exit, narrowly missed my turn, became enslaved  to  my navigator  which took  me  through a surprise toll booth that left me fumbling for a quarter, around some side  streets  straight to the  loading dock of Delaware Fish and Seafood Market.  I parked my car across an adult store and backed out again after gauging the long walk  to the front of the market which was across the narrow street.  As I was arm-wrestling with the steering wheel another car was cluelessly backing towards me and to warn it I unsuccessfully banged all over to toot  my car horn.  The car horn disappeared from my line of sight from  all the arm twisting I was doing with the wheel.  Good thing I did not end up with another dent in my newly  refurbished (finally refurbished after multiple accidents) ride.

From the fish market I went to the farmer’s market and found multiple glimpses of home.

IMG_1340

Atis!  $3.99/lb  Kaching!

IMG_1342

Pink guava or the bayabas of our childhood years!

IMG_1345

Rambutan  $5.99/lb. Which, price-wise is a no-go for me.

IMG_1344

This one is called Longan, which I highly suspected might be lanzones.  But after a sneaky taste test, it was not as fleshy as the lanzones, or as sweet.

IMG_1346

Remember in the good old days where we have those red bananas with the seed inside?

IMG_1343

Dragon Fruit.  This I don’t think we have in the Philippines.  $3.49 each!

They have lots of organic and/or locally grown   produce.  Their bananas, cherries and grapes, watermelons, are about the same price as in the grocery store.

IMG_1341

 

I was taking pictures of the bok choy when the store help  told me I can’t take pictures in there and don’t I know it’s illegal to take pictures?  Really?  Gotta do a rain check on that.  The other time I was accosted not to take pictures of the wares was in another farmer’s market.  There’s something about farmer’s markets….hmmm.  I was irritated but nothing could dampen my spirit in this Ilongga’s paradise of bayabas, and atis and rambutan.  I just mourned all the nice pictures I could have taken of everything else…the organic vegetables in endless variety, choice of organic fruits and locally grown ones, many varieties of tomatoes, bottled produce, just like in a health food store  and then the herbs.

There was lemongrass growing  in  a pot and best of all --- my most favorite of all the leafy green vegetables-----

IMG_1352

The lovely alugbati! 

I’ve coveted eversince the one I discovered  growing luxuriously  in someone else’s backyard.

And now a taste of home at a cost of $5 bucks.

IMG_1351

I’m dreaming of alugbati with ground pork.  Alugbati with monggo. In laswa. etc.

The guy told me that Oriental people and those from the Caribbean are familiar with this vegetable. Familiar, my foot!  I grew up with alugbati in my diet.  The American spinach is no match, in my opinion.

Truly, a taste of home!

No comments:

Post a Comment