Monday, April 30, 2012

Girl Powah!

It hasn’t seen  deep cleaning of any sort for the past seven  years or so. And, for the past few years I’ve had my eye on that nasty-looking, dust and mite-ridden carpet of ours.  Many a time I have suggested, encouraged, begged and pleaded the husband that we hire the professionals but he had been stubbornly  resistant in that hard-to-figure-out way that husbands are.
Until  this writer, who hasn’t had allergies in decades  suddenly developed a perennially running nose…  Until I  could no longer bear to hear my son breathing from a mile away... I determined to do what  needed to be done.
Today was the day, while the husband was away, that I put my plan to fruition.  Today I waged the long-awaited battle against  the very nasty-looking, dust and mite-ridden carpet, with my secret weapon: the powerful, heavy duty carpet cleaner, the Rug Doctor.
DSC_1387
The Rug Doctor weighed 36 lbs and holds a gallon of water so it weighed approximately 40 lbs. It was hard labor and extremely cumbersome navigating two flights of stairs. I realized I had to rent the “hand tool” for the hard-to-reach-places which necessitated another trip to Winn-Dixie.  Already I had labored one and  a half hours and gobbled a couple of my special “power-pastry” to give me a psychological boost on top of my healthy oatmeal.
Putting the hand tool in place took longer than my ride to Winn-Dixie but my girl-power (Powah!) took charge after several minutes.
It was “easier” on the stairs with the use of the hand-tool but I had to be particularly flexible as the spray was activated from the Rug-Doctor’s main handle.  It took enormous girl-powah to press from an armslength away on the right arm and spray-scrub on the carpet  with the other arm.
DSC_1393
“Res Ipsa Loquitor”… the thing speaks for itself. (the murky water)

After three and a half hours, 5 gallons of water, lots of straining, pulling, lifting, pushing, twisting, wrestling, mental-figuring, upstairs, downstairs, forward, backward, sideward,  and a helluva racket (thankfully, I had my earplugs and headphone) with the Rug Doctor, I did what I had set out for years to do.  It is done.
In the battle vs.  the super-grimy, nasty-looking, dust-mite ridden, never-had-a-cleanin’  BERBER CARPET,
the winner is…
DSC_1388
my RUG DOCTOR and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment