Friday, November 21, 2014

A Message to Myself & My Christian Brethren (Who are Democrats)

President Obama appealed to the emotions of a divided nation last night over illegal immigration. He quoted Scripture; he cited heart-rending personal stories and used  his  powers of rhetoric-- all in an attempt to pull at a nation’s heartstrings, to render it pliant  to his version of social justice.  I think, for the most part, he succeeded.   (But not with me).

You see, I am not a fan of the President or his policies, or that of the Democratic Party.

I am a  Republican-leaning, pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-limited government proponent of  Biblical and conservative values. I am also an evangelical Christian.

The moment I stepped on American soil, as a (legal) immigrant myself, the Democrats had already lost me.  They did not stand any chance.  They lost me  at abortion, and same-sex unions and, and having immigrated here under Pres. Bush,  sealed the deal with President Obama.

As I watched the President’s speech last night, I tried in vain to listen till the end.

On the other side of the fence, you will find another person who listened to the same speech that the President gave-- where he quoted Scripture, cited heart-rending personal stories, and used all his powers of rhetoric --who likely was convinced  to his version of social justice.

You see, that person might be a Democrat.

That person would likely be a pro-abortion, pro-same-sex union, pro-social welfare proponent of big government and liberal values.  This person may or may not  be an evangelical Christian just like me.

You can already see that I am very passionate, (though, normally not very vocal) about my political beliefs.  In today’s training  manuals of our US Military they have a name for  me:  radical evangelical extremist.

As it is, I am  an ordinary American citizen who classifies myself as all of the above. And as I struggle over my self-righteous contentions  against those who are of a different political ideology (namely Democrats) and wrestle over disagreeable thoughts against Christians who do not support my views (namely, Christian Democrats), I discover how, in a world of blacks vs. white, rich vs. poor,  Democrats vs. Republicans we all have one thing in common-----

-----we all need Jesus.

In a nation fraught with antagonism and divided by ideology, and color and so-economic  status, I  need to see that the only Person who could ever unite us is Him.

America is in disarray.

I turn on the TV and  see how the community in Ferguson, Missouri is being torn apart by racial protests;

the Democratic President goes it alone amidst the outcries of lawlessness by Republicans;

gay activists sign a petition against the Christian Duggar family (of the “19 Kids and Counting” fame) for their stand against the cause of the LGBT movement;

Oklahoma attorney general plans to sue the president for abuse of power,

and now the prospect of 5 million illegal immigrants being granted “amnesty” in the face of millions who are legally waiting their turn.

How do I become like Jesus in a world so divided?

First off,  I have to see myself for who I really am—a self-righteous, judgmental prig who badly needs the love and grace of Jesus.

I need to show love to those with whom I disagree;

I need to pray for President Obama;

I need to  ask for  wisdom to discern what is the just thing, the merciful thing, the right thing to do with illegal immigrants, among other vague social issues.

I need to hate what is evil; and cling to what is good;

and, in all things, I need to extend grace, grace, grace, in infinite measure,  as one whose debt has been paid for on the cross.

And to my Democrat brother and sister in Christ—I beg you to  extend the same grace to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment