Saturday, February 27, 2016

Spiritual Serendipity

I've been thinking since yesterday about what God has to say about our hearts...this being the month of Love. All day at the back of my mind is this verse: "Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart."  I Samuel 16:7
 I was sitting there watching my son having his rehab for his fractured finger and had been admiring the therapist's lovely, large diamond ring and silver watch from the previous
session. And her curly blond hair...  And I see this person behind me--and it took me a moment to  determine that she was a female adult because her   features were deformed and her body was shapeless. This person was undergoing therapy, and receiving slow, emphatic
instructions from her own physical therapist. She had sneakers and socks, and this unfashionable shorts and T-shirt, with her wheelchair and aide behind her. There was no beauty to be desired....pity, yes; scorn, maybe.

 In that moment, the Holy Spirit whispered to me out of the blue:  "Man looks at
the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. "
 The world would call this a "light-bulb moment," "serendipity", because it doesn't know the Person and work of the Holy Spirit of God, who lives in the believer.. who lives in me. I know it because Jesus said so,   "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to help you and be with you forever--the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot know Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him for He lives with you and will be in you. John 14:16-17
 I know the Triune God lives in me because of His Spirit. He said that He will not leave us orphans in this world, He will give us His Spirit.
 Jesus is here-- as alive as the time the disciples walked with Him on earth. And He guides us into Truth...He who is Truth Himself.....
 So God's Truth for me today is this:  "Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment