Sunday, January 10, 2010

Braving the Arctic Blast in the Land of the Sun

DSC_0094 

Today could prove to be the coldest day here  since the 1970’s or 80’s.  Not only that it has never been this cold, it has never been  cold for this long.  It’s going on two weeks. The wind is icy and the cold is creepy.  Our heater’s been on this past week and I’ve been bundled up in  socks and a thick long robe  which I’ve dug out of my closet.  Still,  the sensation of cold  is likened to that of  icy hands wrapped around my feet.

DSC_0189 1

My two papayas and my terrace and patio plants are taking a terrible slashing and beating from the wind.  

DSC_0196 1

Some of my potted ones have toppled over.  They say it’s in the 40’s now but I bet it is even colder here because of the  lake. .  It might be in the low 30’s with the wind chill.  An   arctic blast is pummeling the America’s and the sunshine south.  God protect us from the cold and the the scourge of illnesses that it brings.

Somebody told me that the stores here have ran out of cold gear as people unused to this weather  buy winter   clothes to supplement their wardrobes.  I’ve taken my boots out to wear , and my ski  cap and heavy  snow gloves from when we went to Ohio one winter to experience the snow.  My husband who has not worn pajamas in years, has been in pj’s and socks in the house.  I am regaled by the show of coats and boots and jackets all around.  I am told I look  like a New Yorker in the winter, myself.

DSC_0182       DSC_0187

Yesterday, while I was lying in bed in the early morning, I could hear the rushing of the wind outside and the unlocked screen door slide open and shut. The leaves were rustling and I could hear the patter of rain, and I wished I did not have to wake up and go to work.  As I came out a blast of frigid air  greeted me and a steady drizzle was falling.  And yet, all around the grass, the sprinklers were throwing out water and I was walking to my car in the wet, and the cold and misery of  a wintry day.

Bear with my whining, my friends from the north, but this child of the sun who lives in the sunshine state  and has only a few pounds of fat in her body cannot be in such  frigid conditions.  Unprotected, I would probably go into hypothermia and shock in a few minutes.   Feet used to sandals and a body used to sleeveless blouses and shorts are most definitely out of place  in this arctic blast.

Our quote of the week:   “ Brave on, children of the sun; brave on…”

No comments:

Post a Comment