Monday, January 25, 2010

Project 10

For some time now I have been nursing this desire that came out of the blue, one day, two or so years ago.  The grind of daily living, however, and the press of the urgent, or just plain discouragement, have  pushed this desire into the back burner of my life.

I know, though, that God had inspired me with this idea and I will be sorely amiss if I don’t put this into completion.  I never want to languish in regret in my old age at the things I did not do.  While I still have the time and the strength, I am making this decision to finally start this project now, on the eve of my 40th year.

I am celebrating my 40th birthday on February 10 of this year (WO-HOOO!!!)  and to mark the date I am starting Project 10.  My plan is to open a mini-library or reading center (start small) for poor and underprivileged kids in Polomolok, South Cotabato where my brother, a faithful missionary and pastor who with his dear wife and children , like the biblical Abraham were called and obediently  left everything  to start a church and now, a school in that “remote”  Muslim-populated region of the Philippines.

I am passionate about education. 

As a child I was blessed to have a grandmother who, with the gift of three books for my 7th birthday, started me on a journey of reading and learning that has brought me this far.

I am a living example of how the bondage of ignorance and poverty can be broken by education and reading is an important component of that.  If we inspire children to read early in their lives, we inspire them to explore the depths of knowledge and learning; we stimulate their curiosity about the world that exists beyond the confines of their impoverished  existence.  

On my fortieth birthday, I am passing on this legacy…

With you,  as my partner, we will break the cycle in the lives of the poor and underprivileged people of that area of Mindanao.

To start this project, I will have to ask you,  my likeminded friends and family, to donate new or used children’s books or a cash equivalent towards the purchase of the same. 

If you wish to donate your own books, please write your name as the donor of the book and the area of the country or world you come from.  A little accompanying message  would be nice, too. If you donate in cash, I will write your names on the books purchased by your monetary contribution.  Give out of  your desire. No amount is too small.

For all those who will attend my birthday party, I would like to ask that in lieu of a birthday gift that you would do the above, as well.

If you are willing to be a partner with me in this project and donate books or cash, or ideas of any kind, please contact me here for my address or telephone number and other details.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

I love you, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment