Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Who's Been Out in the Rain Today

It's been a morning of explosive thundering and incongruously so, since the sky directly overhead is almost clear.  They say that Florida is the lightning  capital of the country.  There is no question. The highest death rates from lightning in the United States are here. Lightning has injured at least 2,000 people in Florida since 1959.  It is incredible that for the thousands of lightning strikes we get here every year that we have so far been spared. Thank you, Lord for your protection. 

When it started pouring a few moments ago I thought to myself how this is turning out to be such a wet and miserable day.  I hope it doesn't pour when I get to drive to work. Going around and thinking these things to myself I happened to look out the glass doors past my balcony and saw this huge white bird on the grass.  It is probably the size of  a one-year- old child.

bird in the rain 3

I turned to the lake and sure enough, another bird was perched on a broken-off  branch...

bird in the rain

I ran to grab my camera and out the balcony but my lens were not long enough to get a closer view.

When I went back in I realized that my mortal, dreaded, icky enemy the green lizard had been right there in front of me it could have flicked its tongue at me while I was intent on taking bird shots.

DSC_0019

I don't have to go to the Everglades to get glimpses of wildlife; I am surrounded by it. Everyday I have encounters with an amazing variety of birds and reptiles.  And today, out in the rain, there's been three.

No comments:

Post a Comment