Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hiking Day 10: My Longest Walk So Far

I went out as early as I could to beat the heat and 7:44 am was the earliest I could get.  It was a leisurely walk  and it was  84 degrees when I stepped out. 

Duration:  1:11

Distance:  3.53 miles

Pace:  20:16 mins/mile  (my slowest so far)

Terrain:  Level

Difficulty:  Easy

IMG_1287

Around half a mile into my walk I noticed a loud, unusual chirping behind me  and I turned to see a bird swoop over my head and land on this tree. It kept tweeting like it was talking to me.  Normally birds would fly away at the sign of humans but this one followed me.  I haven’t seen this bird before.  It was all black except for some red-orange plumage on top of its neck. It’s on the topmost branch of the tree, if you can’t see it. This is not a common bird where I live, stoking my curiousity as to what it is.

IMG_1288c 1

I cut through the newly cut grass to get to the other side of this nice grove of trees.  I was tempted to sit awhile under their shade.

IMG_1289

Horses and cows happily co-existing in this cow pasture on the side of my path.  It smelled of dung when I walked by.

IMG_1292

Passed by a pine grove.  Shady walk here and my path was dotted by patches of creeping wild grass growing on the pavement.

IMG_1294

I made a detour to check out these two handsome horses in their pen.

IMG_1298

An exotic flower I don’t know the name of.

This time another snake I happened upon on the path.  It slithered quickly into the grass before I had the chance to get a photo.

It is the southern ringneck snake.  It grows from 6- 10 inches. Found commonly here.  I’ve found one in my garden in the past.

    

   SONY DSC 

Photos of snakes  above courtesy of  Malinda Dowling &  Felix Maldonado, respectively.

Since I started hiking two weeks ago, I’ve chanced upon a snail, pigeons, ducks, and twice now, snakes across the  paved paths I’ve taken.

IMG_1299

“My Crepe Myrtle Walk”

It turned out to be a breezy day, thank God.  And as I passed by this walk bordered by white crepe myrtles, the breeze was stirring the panicles and causing the white flowers to fall across my way like snowflakes drifting in the breeze.

All along this path to my right were tall electric poles and it was eerie to hear the magnetic-like whirring sound they made.  I wonder how many volts of electricity they held and  if one of those wires were cut loose and fell on me, I’d be fried, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment