Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hiking Diary Day 7

I hiked for 50 minutes today, at 7:00 p.m. with just a few brief stops to take pics.  I had on my new   (cold- weather)  walking boot which frankly is soo much more comfortable than my ill-fitting sneakers. They provide good support at the ankles so I don’t wobble. They are firm on the toes and upper feet, as well. I bought this for cheap ($20) at Tuesday morning. The regular price is $84.

Still not quite sure if I want to invest in a good hiking boot, since I don’t know where this hiking business of mine would take me, and good ones are expensive.

Anyhow, I bought this Sunday and  I’ve been breaking  this one in  inside the house but today was the longest  I’ve walked in them. Turned out ---  no  discomfort on my toes. Not a  sore  or a blister.  A good sign, eh, that this boot and I are gonna  have a lot of hiking in our future.

 

IMG_1226

 

IMG_1223

 

IMG_1228

My grandfather used to raise ducks just like this in his backyard.  This particular duck had no fear of humans.  It approached me so purposefully, twice on my way and back that I thought  it was going to peck at my feet.

IMG_1227

The ubiquitous trash.

IMG_1232

Banana “puso”.  When I was a kid I would play with the young banana clusters  inside this puso.  They are good for making a vegetable dish.

The dried banana leaves are  called “ramay” in the dialect.  In the past, when my mom would iron clothes,  she would get the ramay from our banana tree in the backyard and nestle the iron on them.  This helped to prevent friction allowing the iron to slide easily on the ironing board (which we use to call “kabayo” or horse).

IMG_1233

Pest infestation on the banana.

There was still some light left at 7:50 p.m., when I turned in, and it was a full moon night.

I didn’t feel any muscle aches or pains from this hike.  Which is a good thing. I may have lost a few ounces of fat in my abs…which is also a really good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment