Saturday, February 27, 2016

Surprised by Encouragement: Serendipity Notebook




“Chronicling the amazing and unexpected ways the Holy Spirit works in my life.”
Let me regale you with a story about frogs.
A group of frogs were hopping contentedly through the woods,  when two of them fell into a deep pit. All of the other frogs gathered around the pit to see what could be done to help their companions. When they saw how deep the pit was, the rest of the dismayed group agreed that it was hopeless and told the two frogs in the pit that they should prepare themselves for their fate because they were as good as dead. Unwilling to accept this terrible fate, the two frogs began to jump with all of their might.
Some of the frogs shouted into the pit that it was hopeless and that the two frogs would not be in that situation if they had been more careful, more obedient to the froggy rules, and more responsible. The other frogs continued sorrowfully shouting that they should save their energy and give up, since they were already as good as dead.
The two frogs continued jumping as hard as they could and after several hours of desperate effort were quite weary. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to the calls of his fellows. Spent and disheartened, he quietly resolved himself to his fate, lay down at the bottom of the pit and died as the others looked on in helpless grief. The other frog continued to jump with every ounce of energy he had, although his body was wracked with pain and he was completely exhausted.
His companions began anew, yelling for him to accept his fate, stop the pain and just die. The weary frog jumped harder and harder and - wonder of wonders, finally leapt so high that he sprang from the pit. Amazed, the other frogs celebrated his miraculous freedom and then gathering around him asked, "Why did you continue jumping when we told you it was
impossible?" Reading their lips, the astonished frog explained to them that he was deaf and that when he saw their gestures and shouting, he thought they were cheering him on. What he had perceived as encouragement inspired him to try harder and to succeed against all odds.

These days we so often hear of courage. And rightly so. Courage is a noble character trait that conjures images in our minds of heroes and valiant deeds and unselfish acts. On the other hand, little is written or  publicized,  about encouragement--where the word courage
is hidden in plain sight. What we do with the word, however, could mean the difference between survival and death, as in the story of the two frogs. Whether  we choose to  ENcourage or  DIScourage could change the course of someone’s day or someone’s life.

Let me recount my own story.
A couple of instances last week opened my eyes to this essential gift of the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ. Last week, God provided me with the means and resources to  celebrate my dream birthday. It took almost two months of careful planning and preparation, many hours of craft work, shopping for food and supplies,  cake and prizes, a long night of making 
flower arrangements, and researching games  that would entertain and delight the guests. 
I could invite only a few people so I handpicked my  guests who  accepted the invitation  ahead of time. To my extreme disappointment, a few of those invited didn’t make it at
the last minute. There was so much food left over, and one table beautifully decked for tea lay empty.

All last year I had postponed writing a piece that weighed heavily on my heart: an essay on grief.  A few weeks ago, I wrestled with the Holy Spirit to  give me the words to complete it.  It was meant to be a catharsis of sorts, for me, and a way to help others who might be going through the same journey.  When I posted the piece online, I was hoping that people would read it, but the barrage of responses I had hoped for never came.  I asked the Lord why He would  give me the words for no one to read, why He would give me this one gift  to serve no
one but me; to just lie there,  like the beautifully empty table I had set for tea.

When I posted the pictures of my birthday tea online, I saw a stream of encouraging remarks, but a gem was uncovered in a quiet whisper by the Holy Spirit -- this gift of a person who had the exact right words, at the exact right time, who in one serendipitous moment of discovery, I found, unbeknown to her and to me,  to be quietly, ever gently at work in my life all these years.  I had found my encourager.

What is an encourager? More than just posting a “like” on your social media post, or  giving you a one-or-two worded compliment, an encourager finds the precise words and takes
the time to say them. An encourager’s words are far from stale cliche; they hold truth and intent; for  encouragement can only serve its purpose if sincere.  An encourager is  intentional and Spirit-led.   An encourager  acknowledges where you have been, where you are at and opens you up to the possibilities of who can  become. 

Most times, encouragement steals upon us, quietly, on little  cat paws, to surprise us. It does not announce its presence  nor receives applause. We do not fall at its feet in awe like we do courage. Encouragement works behind the scenes, silently relentless in its strength, with a muted power that can change people’s lives and destinies.

My encourager believes I could write for an audience of many  when I could only see an audience of one... My encourager acknowledged the incredible effort it took for me to host my party, and with words aptly spoken, swung  the door open exposing my  hurting soul for encouragement to come in-- like a plush, soft robe on a cold morning, like a soothing balm to a sore body, like a  hug from a friend on a bad day, like  the gift from a loving heavenly Father that it is meant to be.

What is courage? It is a precious  gem tucked away deep within the bowels of  encouragement, waiting to be found.

Find your encourager. Be an encourager.

No comments:

Post a Comment